Cambridge UK: 3 days – £1275 exc. VAT per delegate
25-27 September 2017 – Booking opens soon
This highly practical business strategy training course provides you with the tools needed to analyse the external business environment and your internal capabilities, then identify appropriate strategies for the most important factors that this reveals. The results enable you to develop a tailored action plan to develop your own strategy and embed strategic management within your organisation. Delegates will discover their own key strategic challenges – doing the analysis, option generation, choice and implementation planning for the new strategy.
Our evidence-based training approach helps professionals improve their strategic thinking ability and increase their confidence in managing strategic responsibilities in the context of their organisation and the industry it operates in.
Business Strategy Explained
The process of formulating and implementing strategy needs to be described in tangible steps. Strategy is not simply about “achieving sustainable competitive advantage” or developing “unique capabilities that cannot easily be imitated”, but is about being very clear about the biggest challenges facing your organisation. Strategic management involves thinking through what you want to achieve, how you are going to allocate and direct resources to deliver, then managing the implementation, to deliver sustained return on capital.
Day 1 – Principles of strategic analysis
- What are strategy and strategic thinking?
- What is the difference between a good strategy and a bad one?
- How to think strategically: comparison with analytical and creative thinking
- Understanding the concept of the “business model”
- Vision, values, mission and goals – case examples, class discussion and guidelines
- Analysis and extrapolation of the business environment
Day 2 – The Strategic Management Process
- How to evaluate market structures, trends and prospects
- Evaluating internal competencies and capabilities
- Situational analysis
- Strategy formulation and measurement – Strategy Maps and and the Balanced Scorecard
- The content of a strategy: how to achieve strategic alignment
- Putting a strategic plan together
- Business cases and business plans demystified
Day 3 – Strategy implementation, measurement and improvement
- Managing risk and uncertainty
- Gaining your team’s commitment and buy-in to the strategy
- Video Case Study: Strategy Consultancy Role Play
- Effective execution – communication and stakeholder management
- Implementation – getting practical things done
- Conclusion – the corporate and individual value of strategic thinking