This introduction to business strategy training course is designed for managers who want to improve their ability to step above business as usual and plan ahead more effectively. Organisations in every field face both uncertainty and competition – so if you want to compete for sales or funding, and chart an effective course forward, you need to differentiate and protect your organisation with a compelling strategy and business model.
Whether you’re selling a product, offering a service or promoting a charity, this highly effective 3-day business strategy training course gives you a complete guide to the essentials of designing, developing and implementing the right strategy to get the results you want.
This highly practical programme gives you a complete set of methods, tools and techniques to analyse your organisation and focus on the most important challenge or opportunity. By understanding your internal resources and external environment, you identify the best strategy for your situation. The results enable you to develop an action plan to develop your own strategy and embed strategy within your organisation’s management process. You will discover your own key strategic challenges – do the analysis, generate options, choose and plan to deliver the best strategy.
Our evidence-based training approach helps to improve your strategic thinking ability and increase your confidence in managing strategic responsibilities in the context of your organisation and the industry it operates in.
The process of formulating, improving and implementing your strategy and business model is described in tangible steps. A strategy is not simply about “competitive advantage” or “unique competencies”, but being clear about the biggest challenge facing your organisation. The next steps choose the best policy and actions to address the challenge.
Strategic management involves thinking through what you want to achieve, how you are going to allocate and direct resources, then managing the implementation, to deliver the best result you can achieve. The business model underpins your strategy and explains how you earn a profit or achieve your objectives within your allocated funding.
This business strategy training will help you:
- Understand the difference between corporate, business and functional strategy
- Analyse your market, industry and the wider business environment
- Take a dispassionate view of your organisation’s strengths and areas for improvement
- Boil your strategy down to the essentials
- Communicate your strategy to your stakeholders to gain commitment
- Choose and use the ‘vital few’ strategic metrics that will tell you if you are on track to achieve your strategic goals
- Appreciate the difference between good strategy and bad strategy
This business strategy training course is for you if you…
- Manage a small or medium-sized organisation and want to find out how to realise it’s potential
- Lead a business unit in a large organisation and want to create a business strategy that aligns with the corporate one
- Want to improve the quality of an existing business strategy or create a new one
- Want to update your knowledge about how to create, update and implement a strategy
Business Strategy Training – Course Content
A systematic process to formulate and implement business strategy takes you through everything in clear steps. One of the biggest challenges is making choices, you will learn how to do this well. Bad strategy often results from trying to keep all stakeholders happy. This course shows you how to allocate and direct your resources to deliver, then manage the implementation, to deliver a sustainable return on investment and manage stakeholder expectations.
Day 1 – Principles of business strategy
- What is a business strategy?
- What is the difference between a good business strategy and a bad one?
- How to think more strategically
- Understanding and improving your business model
- A systematic approach to formulate, implement and evaluate business strategy
- Vision, values, mission and goals – guidelines and examples
- Analysing and understanding your business environment
Day 2 – The strategic management process
- How to evaluate market structures, trends and prospects
- Assessing internal competencies and capabilities
- Using external and internal analysis to generate business strategy options
- Strategy translation and measurement – Strategy Maps and the Balanced Scorecard
- How to achieve strategic alignment
- Putting a strategic plan together
- Developing business cases and business plans
Day 3 – Strategy implementation, measurement and improvement
- Managing risk and uncertainty
- Gaining your team’s commitment and buy-in to the business strategy
- Case Study: Strategy consultancy role play
- Effective execution – communication and stakeholder management
- Implementation – getting practical things done
- Conclusion – driving value through strategic thinking
This business strategy training course is also available for in-house presentation if you have more than three delegates to be trained.