Strategic Leadership Development
This Strategic Leadership Development course explores practical approaches to developing strategic thinking skills and implementing a strategic management process. It develops a deeper understanding of corporate governance, covering the strategic role of the board, the rights of institutional shareholders and the approach of the company towards risk. We combine these two aspects of management and leadership to develop an integrated view of corporate governance, corporate strategy, business strategy and strategic risk management.
Our evidence-based and highly practical approach to strategic leadership development helps professionals to improve their strategic thinking ability and increase their confidence in fulfilling governance responsibilities. We take on current relevant dilemmas and provide robust tools to support your continuous learning.
Who should attend?
Board directors in an executive or non-executive role, senior managers, active investors, portfolio managers and analysts, regulators, financial journalists, and lawyers who:
- Have the responsibility to translate organisational strategy into an effective performance to deliver results or to oversee this implementation.
- Want to better understand the differences between operational management, strategic leadership and governance roles in areas such as responsibilities, planning approaches, and priorities.
- Need to develop a deep understanding of international corporate governance practices and ensure alignment throughout the organisation
- Assess companies for their long-term success and potential to increase value for stakeholders.
Some key outcomes reported by delegates who have attended this course include:
- More clarity about the elements of direction and strategy such as purpose, mission, strategy, goals, key result indicators, vision and values
- A better appreciation of the elements of direction and governance, such as accountability, stakeholder management, transparency, leadership, and risk management
- A deeper understanding of universal principles to steer organisations on behalf of the owners or funders
- Insights into reasons why conflicts between strategic leaders and operational managers are inevitable and how to resolve them so conflict is healthy and productive
- Appreciating the difference between corporate and business strategy, appreciation of the importance of the idea of “competitive strategy“ and where new ideas fit
- A clearer understanding of personal strengths as a strategic thinker, leader and manager and areas for further development
The course provides an opportunity to build on your existing managerial skills, knowledge and experience. The course uses a mixture of short theory explanations, group discussions, individual work, exercises, presentations, video clips, case studies, problem- solving and feedback sessions to provide an interesting, varied and stimulating learning experience that suits a range of learning styles.
Participants learn in an interactive workshop environment how to handle their director roles and responsibilities and achieve greater impact in their board work. The opportunity is given to address specific client situations in the form of individual yet anonymised case studies. The course leaders have extensive qualifications and experience working with clients in many industries on strategic
management and corporate governance in emerging markets. During preparatory steps, an understanding of current corporate issues and individual concerns is captured and used to focus the workshop content. A comprehensive handbook, emerging Markets guide, and a toolkit for follow-on work ensure the learning success for all delegates.
Venue & Group Size
The programme will be held at a prestigious venue in the West End of London. The non-residential course fee includes training facilities, documentation, lunches and refreshments for the duration of the programme. Delegates are responsible for arranging their own transport, accommodation and evening meals, however, a list of convenient hotels is available upon registration. We will work in small groups up to a maximum of 12 delegates.
Strategic Leadership Development – Agenda
Day 1 & 2
Strategy formulation, implementation and management
- Strategy definition and concepts
- A Strategic Management System
- Strategic analysis
- Strategic planning and strategic thinking
- Strategy evaluation and choice
- Strategy communication and implementation
- Organisational change and business transformation
Day 3 & 4
Corporate Governance and Board Leadership
- Corporate governance concepts and developments
- Global strategic risks
- The board’s strategic role
- Director’s roles and responsibilities
- Frequent dilemmas for board directors – real-life cases
- Review of a governance toolkit
- Exercise: Simulation of a board period
- Assess the risk appetite of the company,
- Develop and approve a corporate or business strategy
- Stakeholder exercise
- Follow-up key results indicators throughout the year
- Challenge management on delivery
- Present period-end results for approval
You can book a place using the form on the left of your screen. Alternatively, if you wish to simply reserve your place or if you have booked by other means, please press the button to complete our simple registration form:Register now